On this page
Guides to help British (and other) sailors to know about weather and weather services when in unaccustomed waters.
Although there are many similarities between weather services in different parts of the world, there are often significant differences regarding VHF channels used, what languages are used, times of forecasts and so on. Partly based on my own experience, partly on experiences of others and partly resulting from being asked to give talks, I have acquired much information that I hope will be a starter for others going to these areas. The page on Biscay was written because I realised that there was considerable fear, largely unfounded, regarding Biscay I also found considerably ignorance and some rather poor, ill-informed, advice on how to cross Biscay. I hope that others will get as much enjoyment as we have had in these waters.
- Weather on Atlantic crossing
- Forecasts for Atlantic crossings
- Weather in the Western Mediterranean
- Marine Weather Forecast services in the Mediterranean and Adriatic
- Weather in the Baltic
- Marine Weather Forecasts in the Baltic
- A weatherman's views on crossing Biscay