UK, Northwest European, Baltic Waters and High Seas:)
About this page
Internet links to UK, Northwest European andScandinavian Waters, High Seas. Most are broadcast under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) marine weather and some other forecasts for METAREA I, the eastern Atlantic north of 48 deg N and the Baltic.
- INMARSAT Forecasts - Worldwide
- METAREA II, French, Spanish Portuguese coasts and High Seas
- METAREA III - Mediterranean and Black Sea
Links to forecasts
UK High Seas, Offshore Sea Areas and Inshore waters
These cannot be used for access by email using Saildocs.
The links below are from the excellent Met Office Mobile service.
- High Seas forecast on INMARSAT for METAREA I --- Issued viaat 0930/2130 UTC
- UK Met Office UK Waters Shipping Forecast --- Issued at 0505/1130/1725/2330 Local Clock Time
- Latest Gale warninga]
- Extended Outlooks for UK Shipping forecast areas ---Separate forecasts issued around midnight for each UK NAVTEX station.
- UK Inshore Waters Forecast --- Issued by the Met Office at about 0000/0600/1200/1800/ UTC
- Coastal areas up to 60 nautical miles from Lerwick, Shetland
- Latest Storm Warning --- Issued by UK Met Office for METAREA I
Actual reports around UK coasts --- Updated hourly.
Alternative, for faster links from the IMO/WMO JCOMM site[
- Cullercoats NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
- Niton NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
- Portpatrick NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
NOTE These three texts cannot be obtaineed using the Sailmail text retrieval service. Use the Met Office Shippig Forecast texts above.
Sone od these forecasts can also be found on the BBC Site
Irish Coastal waters
- Coastal waters forecasts around Ireland and Gale Warnings ---
- Irish buoy reports
- Irish land station reports
Jersey Met Office
French Sea and Coastal areas forecasts
Inshore Forecasts (Bullétins Cotiere)
- De la frontière belge à la baie de Somme
- De la baie de Somme au cap de la Hague
- Du cap de la Hague à Penmarc'h
Offshore forecasts(9Bull etins au large)
NOTE All these texts can be bookmarked and texts obtained using the Saildocs text retrieval service.
Norway, Faeroes and Iceland
- Gale warnings - in English
- Norwegian Inshore waters - Southern areas, Anna Sira eastwards, only. -- In Norwegian
- Norwegian Inshore waters Russiab border to Aana Sira -- in English
- 2-day forecast for each fishing ground- Select each fishing ground individually.
- Offshore (NAVTEX) sea areas
Miscellaneous Norwegian pages
- Icelandic Shipping Forecast --- In English at 04:30, 10:03, 16:30 and 22:10 UTC)
These are in Emglish, except where noted
- German coastal Forecasts.
- N Sea shipping forecast in German
- S Baltic shipping forecast in German
- North Sea and S Baltic 36 hours + trend in text
- German Bight, West & South Baltic "Wind" forecast in German
- North Sea General Synopsis and 3 day Grid point forecasts
- S Baltic General Synopsis and 3 day Grid point forecasts
- English Channel to Gibraltar Synopsis & 3-day "Grid point" forecats
This last includes waters around the British Isles as well as Biscay, Madeira, the Canaries etc.
- Baltic Sea Area Forecasts --- In English. ssued by the Swedish Met service - SMHI
- Coastal Forecasts Index page --- Not very friendly unless on broadband. In Swedish
- Sea level - recnt actuals and 5 day forecasts
Heights relate to average sea levels.
- Forecasts for Danish Sea Areas --- Southern Baltic and North Sea - Text only version in English
- Forecast Gulf of Finland, Northern Baltic, Sea of Aaland and Archipelago, Gulf of Bothnia --- In English.
- Two days actual and two day forecast sea levels
Heights relate to average sea levels.
Baltic States and Poland
For sea area forecasts, use the Finnish or Swedish services.
- Estonia ---Baltic sea area texts, Vector wind charts,Current and Sea level forecasts, Coastal actual rports. All in English.
- Latvia --- Forecast for RigA
- Lithuania - Short period marine forecast in wind vector format
- Poland --- Graphical, impressive but not very useful output from UK Global model and USN COAMPS
For more Baltic links go to my page Baltic Forecast Sources
See also pages on -
- Forecasts around Western Europe
- Mediterranean and Adriatic Weather services
- Baltic weather services
- Trans-Atlantic weather forecasts
- Weather in the Baltic