About this page
Internet links to UK, Northwest European andScandinavian Waters, High Seas. Most are broadcast under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) marine weather and some other forecasts for METAREA I, the eastern Atlantic north of 48 deg N and the Baltic.
- INMARSAT Forecasts - Worldwide
- METAREA II, French, Spanish Portuguese coasts and High Seas
- METAREA III - Mediterranean and Black Sea
- METAREA IV - XVI - outside Europe
- Sea area charts
Links to forecasts
UK High Seas, Sea Areas and Inshore waters
- High Seas forecast on INMARSAT for METAREA I --- Issued viaat 0930/2130 UTC
- UK Met Office Waters Shipping Forecast --- Issued at 0505/1130/1725/2330 Local Clock Time
- Extended Outlooks for UK Shipping forecast areas ---Separate forecasts issued around midnight for each UK NAVTEX station.
- UK Inshore Waters Forecast --- Issued by the Met Office at about 0000/0600/1200/1800/ UTC
- Latest Storm Warning --- Issued by UK Met Office for METAREA I
- Latest Gale Warnings --- Issued by the UK Met Office for UK Sea Areas
Alternative, for faster links from the IMO/WMO JCOMM site[
- Cullercoats NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
- Niton NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
- Portpatrick NAVTEX 518 kHz warnings and Forecasts
- Actual reports around UK coasts --- Updated hourly.
Alternatively, on the BBC sites
- Shipping forecast
- High Seas forecast
- Inshore waters This is a list from which individual areas are selected.
- Extended Range Forecasts
Particularly useful, direct from the Met Office meso-scale model, although limited in locations, the next link should be the best meso-scale forecasts achievable. Good as a check on commercial meso-scale forecasts.
Irish Coastal waters
- Coastal waters forecasts around Ireland and Gale Warnings ---
- Irish buoy reports
- Irish land station reports
Jersey Met Office
French Sea and Coastal areas forecasts
Inshore Waters Forecasts
Norway, Faeroes and Iceland
- North of UK and Norwegian Seas Not currently available.
- Norwegian Inshore waters - Southern areas only
- 5-day forecast for each fishing groundSelect each fishing ground individually.
- Faeroes Sea Areas
- Icelandic Shipping Forecast --- In English at 04:30, 10:03, 16:30 and 22:10 UTC)
- Icelandic Inshore Waters Forecast --- In Icelandic, at 01:00, 04:30, 06:45, 10:03, 12:45, 16:30, 19:30 and 22:10 UTC. At the times underlined there is also a High Seas forecast. At 1003 there is a 3 day outlook.
Index for all DWD marine forecasts
Select North Sea and Baltic
Then choose from
- coastal weather - Inshore Waters
- forecasts wind - Wind Forecast Geraman Bight and Ostsee in German - hit the German flag to see
- weather report - Sea Areas Forecast for Baltic and North Sea, 24 hour forecast and outlook
- forecasts 3 days - Grid point winds in tabular layout
- observations - Actual S Baltic, N Sea and N British Isles
- spec. observations - N Sea coastal reports last 3 hours
- medium range - 5 day outlook for N Sea and Baltic
- Baltic Sea Area Forecasts --- In English. ssued by the Swedish Met service - SMHI
- Coastal Forecasts Index page --- Not very friendly unless on broadband. In Swedish
- http://www.dmi.dk/eng/index/forecasts/forecast_for_sea_areas.htm 24-hour forecasts for Danish Sea Areas --- Southern Baltic and North Sea - Text only version in English
- Forecast Gulf of Finland, Northern Baltic, Sea of Aaland and Archipelago, Gulf of Bothnia --- In English.
Baltic States and Poland
- Estonia ---Vector wind charts, no texts
- Latvia --- pictorial, no texts
- Lithuania - Short period marine forecast in text
- Poland --- Graphical, impressive but not very useful output from UK Global model and USN COAMPS
For more Baltic links go to my page Baltic Forecast Sources
3-Day forecasts for English Channel, Irish sea to Gibraltar and Canary Isles
Go to the DWD Index page.
Hit the Union Flag, if necessary. Then Mediterranean Sea, then East Atlantic.
See also pages on -
- Forecasts around Western Europe
- Mediterranean and Adriatic Weather services
- Baltic weather services
- Trans-Atlantic weather forecasts
- Weather in the Baltic
- Forecasts around Iceland
Back to the GMDSS Texts index page